Monday, June 7, 2010

I Did it!

Wow I actually did it! As you may know I had never told anyone that I struggled with SSA and honestly never even considered it until I started reading other blogs and groups and made my blog. I just figured I would be shunned and no one could love me if they knew. Several people who post here really encouraged me and gave me advice on what to say and told me it would really be helpful not to hide my burden from everyone.

Well I decided to tell my brother (who is a Christian) and of course was really nervous. On the drive down to his house I prayed the whole time for courage and for a compassionate response. I had emailed him in advance thanks to the suggestion of someone here and told him I had something I needed to talk about that I was struggling with. So I got there and he asked if I wanted to get it over with since he could tell I was nervous. For a few minutes I could not say anything but I finally managed to say somewhat what I planned to say.

Well it went way better than I thought it would! Instead of shunning me like I feared he showed me incredible love and compassion! After we were done talking he prayed for me and gave me a hug. And then what was even better is he treated me the same as he always did for the rest of the day when we hung out and went out to eat and stuff and it was not awkward or anything. It feels amazing to be honest about this and still be loved/accepted. Thank you so much for the prayers and advice everyone! This really has changed my life as I finally dont have to carry this burden on my own and have someone in person to go to for support and prayers. I told him he could tell his wife too and the next day I had a great conversation with her as well and she also has been very encouraging. I never would have done this if not for the support of people from here so thanks!

10 comments:

  1. Bro, I was in your shoes about 3 years ago and so I know exactly how you feel. I then went through the process many more times - telling other friends, elders in the church, then a room full of men in my church and then lastly the credentials committee that was examining me for ordination. Each time it got easier, except for the time when it was a room full of men would then vote for whether I should go forward as a candidate for ordination - THAT was intense! Now I feel like I could do it in a stadium full of people fairly easily. Probably the only difficult scenario for me now would be to tell my mother and biological brothers, most of whom aren't Christians and one is a liberal "Christian."

    Overcoming FEAR is a major step in your progress and then will be many more to come of other types.

    While I am glad to hear that it went well with your brother and sister-in-law this might now always be the case with others. A woman I was in love with broke my heart and dumped me when I told her.

    But such responses have been the exception rather than the rule.

    Bro, I'm proud of for having the courage and not allowing fear to have dominion over you!

    Love ya man!

    Erik
    " Journal of A Battling Christian"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you ! There is so much good to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AJ,

    I jump for joy reading your post, I just knew your brother would be supportive, perfect example of what a brother should do. This will go a long way in helping you to feel better about yourself. Ain't God good?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you stan! Ya its been a great help already. He has called me every night since I told him and we have talked about things. And your right I am feeling alot better about my self and not so much shame etc...

    And yes God is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad things have worked out so well with your brother. It seems he will be a real blessing to you in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to hear that your brother calls and you are able to share together on a regular basis, cheering for you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really glad this went so well. Very good to hear. :)

    ReplyDelete